Monday 5 March 2018

Final Collaborative Performance Project - The Proposal

Things to include in your proposal

Introduction: briefly describe what your project is and what the outcome will be. 

e.g. This project will focus on completing a recording of three original pieces. One of the pieces will be performed live during the summer gig. 

Context: what is your background and why does this help develop your skill set?

e.g. As a songwriter, most of my work has been written for solo piano and my voice. I would like to see how the introduction of more instruments will affect the songwriting process and help develop my sound as an artist. 

Outline research plan: what will you be investigating in the project? How will this affect your work? 

e.g. My research will fall into three main categories. 1) I will look at the work of (insert artists here) and analyse the different elements in their songs. This will help inform my own songwriting. 2) I will look at different methods of arranging songs for (insert genre here) in order to inform the way that I use (insert instrumentation here) in my work. 3) I will find research different ways to prepare a recording and compare the differences between live recording or multitrack recording. 

Case Studies: find three models of music making (or other relevant area) and embed the media. Explain why it is relevant.

e.g. This video of Kamasi Washington playing a jazz gig with band, string orchestra and choir shows a clear way to join together written notation and improvisation. 



Methodology: how will you achieve what you are aiming for?

e.g. In order to achieve these goals I will need to do the following: develop my songwriting skills, develop my arrangement skills, develop ways of communicating ideas to my band, develop ways to lead sessions, create demo versions to send to the band, create pre-production of my tracks before the recording session, etc. During my week I will need to set targets and reflect on whether I have achieved them or not. 

Timeline: you have eight weeks to complete this. Make sure it is doable. Show what will happen week by week.

e.g. Week 1 - research key artists and analyse their work. Find a band of musicians and define the instrumentation I will be working with. Start work on the first piece and input ideas into Logic X. Send ideas to band members. 
Week 2 - etc. 

Bibliography: are there any albums, books, online articles, films that might help you? We'll look into Harvard referencing at a later date.

e.g. Neville, C. (2010) The Complete Guide to Referencing and Avoiding Plagiarism. 2nd Edition. Maidenhead: Open University Press




General Pointers

  • We'll have a half-way point performance and presentation so that your classmates can give you feedback on your work to date. This is really important to UAL. 
  • Your gig will be on Monday 21st May. 
  • You will have access to more rooms during your timetabled classes so you will be able to do more practical workshops during the week. 
  • The proposal is really important. It should outline everything about your project and show how you will achieve your aims.

No comments:

Post a Comment